Friday, June 24, 2011

It's two a.m.--why am I awake

Well--it is 2:25 to be exact and I have hardly slept a wink.  It could be that Brett is in Nashville tonight so every sound in the house makes me wonder.  Not mention to the fact that the dog (good ol' Jasmine) was just barking at a truck turning around in my driveway.  Perhaps it's the fact that I had a fairly easy day today--hardly any physical labor and really very little stress.  I think the biggest reason is probably the dose of prednisone I took today at 2 p.m. trying to fight off a sinus infection.  Truthfully it is probably a combination of them all.  Oh the joys of having what they call the "aspirin triad" or an intolerance to salicylates.  Really though it has taught me a lot.   When I first struggled with it it taught me to be humble-- do not laugh.  I am usually a do it myself person.  I do not really ask for help well--and I still don't about most things.  But this has become too hard for me to handle on my own, so when necessary I ask doctors for help.
This is one I do not do very well.  Even though I am grateful for modern medicine--I have to admit I am somewhat skeptical on doctors abilities to heal things.  Maybe it is the frugal one in me.  If I went to store and payed money for a digital camera--and brought it home to find it took pictures only some of the time--or that it had a minor glitch of say--blurring all the faces.  Well, that camera would go straight back to the store--so why isn't it that way with healthcare.  If it doesn't work or do what it is supposed to without major side effects why should I have to pay full price.  I've known people who have payed medical bills for treatments that did not work for years after the loved one has died.  I mean I understand that someone has to pay for it and medicine isn't cheap-yet sometimes I wonder if doctors were held a little more accountable if they might be a little more honest and a little less likely to prescribe something they know will likely not help much.   But it is a tough call when it is peoples lives.  So I have learned that medical help really is a blessing.
I have also learned to rely on my Savior more for help.  At least when my head and heart are in the right place and I am not complaining:)  The Apostle Paul said in 2 Corinthians
 " 7And lest I should be aexalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a bthorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
 8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
 9And he said unto me, My agrace is sufficient for thee: for mybstrength is made perfect in cweakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ maydrest upon me.
 10Therefore I take pleasure in ainfirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in bpersecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am cweak, then am I dstrong."
I do not know that I have quite the faith of Paul but I think that this allergy is to help me remember my Savior and my complete reliance on him--and when I do I am not so bad off.

The last thing I've learned has been a hard one.  I love food.  I love to cook and try new things.  But with the allergy my diet is severely restricted.  I have learned that food's real purpose is to sustain life and that is it.  That doesn't mean is shouldn't taste good--but when I see all the resources that are spent on the "art" of food---time, money, networks, billions of books--  I just want to say --enough already!  If half the money spent on glamorizing food was spent on getting food to those who do not have enough of it-I do not believe anyone in the world would go hungry.  The same goes for clothes--yes I know it is good to look nice, but really --enough!  And yet those are things that provide livelihoods  for people so what can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment