Sunday, July 17, 2011

A benefit of raising the kids on the farm.

On Saturday morning I was awoken by Isaac, my four year old, whispering in my ear, "Mom, we need more goat food."  You might think it funny, but it made me smile.  I thought it was pretty cool that my little four year old was up before me and he had gone with his older sister to check on the goats.   About an hout later he was bringing in this little turtle.  He had saved it from the jaws of Jasmine--our turtle eating dog.  She had pierced the turtle's shell so the kids brought it in and doctored it up and the turtle seems to be doing ok.  I have to admit I really like the kids taking care of the animals.  Isaac really loves the farm--he'll go outside to play with the dog or kittens all by himself. He loves to go and check for eggs.  He seems to be the most at home with the farm animals--he and Canyon both are--I suppose it is because they were introduced to them at a very young age and have had the opportunity to get to know them a little earlier than the other kids.  I was always timid around animals--I was a little afraid of them and always awkward.  It is nice to see that my kids are growing up not being so afraid.  Rosie--who is 9--used to have an irrational fear of most animals--especially dogs--but in the 9 months we have lived on the farm she has made leaps and bounds!   She loves to play with the kittens and is not afraid of Jasmine, or the goats, and not much of the chickens.  She is a little afraid of the cows--but I think that is a healthy fear--after all the cows are big and it is good to be aware of them.  
I am so grateful for the chance my kids have had to learn about animals and their natures.

No comments:

Post a Comment