Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My New Hobby

When I moved to Kentucky I found a new hobby.  I love going to the Arts and Crafts shows they have here.  Especially the Appalachian Craft Shows.  I really like the old arts.  I saw some really cool things that were made out of gourds, so last summer I planted some in the garden.  For Christmas I got a few tools to make what I call "gourding" easier.  I spent most of Christmas morning creating my first gourd--I even burnt breakfast--thankfully a kind family dropped off some delicious cinnamon rolls for us.  This is my first gourd.  Since then I tried new tools and techniques.  Here are some more gourds.

I painted, carved and burned this gourd to make this design.  It has one of my favorite sayings on it.  Most people think it applies to teachers, but I like to think of how it applies to families.  You can count the number of children in a family, but you can not count the amount of influence on the future those children may have.  It goes right along with my favorite  saying--"save the world--raise good kids."



This one I made by carving, and staining.  The handle is a curved vine I found on one of the many hikes we make through our woods and pasture.  I am always on the lookout for interesting "stuff"


This is the only birdhouse I have made so far.  It reminds me of a little gnome home.  


I painted this blue with gold swirls  and then decoupaged butterflies onto this one.  It is all my girls' favorite--Go figure. 

I haven't finished this one yet.  I plan on putting hinges, a clasp and a brass handle where the stem currently is.

This one is carved and stained and then I wove cedar tree bark to make the top and handle.  It is one of Brett's favorites.

This one is painted and the top is woven on with the twine.  It is also lined with a matching fabric.

This is my first and only rooster so far.  He is kind of funky--but I like him and it was fun to make him. 
So--What do you think?   Do you have a favorite or an idea-I would love to have some feed back.

1 comment:

  1. Sherry, I am impressed! I think that is so cool that you have taken "gourding" up. I hope you will keep posting- you have so much variety, it is really fun to see and makes me excited to see what you will continue to do. My personal favorite is the rooster- I love it! It has such a whimsical feeling...and it actually kind of reminds me of our Rahn Red Barn. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete