Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Day Moriah was Born

I wanted to record some thoughts about the day Moriah--the calf of Buttercup, our milk cow--was born.
It was Febraury 17th.  Brett was out of town for work that week.  We had just purchased Buttercup and new she would be "freshening" (that is what they call it when a milk cow has her calf) very soon.  Buttercup was delivered on Monday and I was so hoping she would wait at least until Friday--if not Saturday to have her calf--me being the ignorant milk maid and all.
However, when I went out Thursday morning to check on her low and behold there was a little calf.  I was so thankful that she had her without needing any assistance.   I sat and watched her for a little bit.  Cedar and Rose were both home sick from school and they came out to see her.  We sat and watched for about an hour and the calf was just sitting on the ground.  I began to worry.  I had read that sometimes calves have to have help to get their first nourishment and since I had not seen her drink in all the time I had watched I figured she was going to need help.  I gave Brett's mom a call and she came out.  We tried to get the calf on her feet and put her under the udder.  We tried squirting milk at her.  We milked Buttercup and tried to bottle feed the calf--still nothing.  Through all of this the calf was getting more and more tired and harder and harder to coerce into doing anything.  
Now I was really worried.  At this point I had been outside for about three hours and still hadn't seen the calf drink, except what little we were able to force into her with a turkey baster.  Cedar and Rose and I said a little prayer--I did not know what else to do.   Within ten minutes a truck pulled up.  It was some men from the local electric company coming to deliver some mulch.  They had been trying to call but I never answered the phone.  I apologized and explained that we had been out in the barn all morning with a newborn calf that wouldn't nurse.  One of them men offered to help, he had had lots of cattle in his life.  Of course I said yes.  He came in slapped the calf on her rump.  She jumped up and stretched.  Then he said she looked awfully healthy and had most likely just finished feeding before I had gotten out there that morning.  He said there was no need to worry.   Sure enough, within fifteen minutes of him leaving,  the calf was up and drinking on her own.  I was so grateful.  I know that Heavenly Father heard my prayer and sent him as an answer.  The girls new he had been an answer to our prayer.  It was nice to have a testimony building experience with my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment