Sunday, May 22, 2011

Reflections and Spinach Pesto Recipe

So--when I started this blog the idea was that it would be a farm/personal journal.  I was hoping that it would help me be more diligent in keeping a history.  I guess it will always take time and effort.  I had a few good weeks but then life got busy without being too extremely fun or exciting so I thought I had nothing to post.  But then I remembered that I did not want this to be only the fun and exciting things but the boring, every day or not so fun things too.  So I will try to be more diligent.
We bought four little pigs a few weeks ago--but they all died within a week--We think that they were probably weaned too early--kind of stinks--but lesson learned!!  It was no fun though.
Then Brett's dad had some health problems and we have been visiting him and just life has gotten busy.  School is wrapping up and the kids have all sorts of awards assemblies and other activities--and then there is the poor garden.  It looks good from far away--but then you get closer and realize half of the green stuff that is growing so well is weeds. We have been enjoying lettuce, radishes and spinach, and I think peas are a week or so away.
Here's something I do with my over abundance of spinach from the garden.  Obviously from the recipe I am not a precise measurer--so hope it comes out right--experiment with it a little.

Spinach Pesto

4-6 cups fresh spinach
1/4-1/3 cup salad oil
1/4-1/3 cup nuts of your choice  (usually almonds, pinenuts, walnuts or peacans)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4-1/3 cup shredded cheese (usually parmesan or mozzarella)
1-2 cloves of garlic crushed.
 Blend everything well in a food processor.  I usually freeze it in a muffin pan, then when it is solid I take it out of the pan and wrap it and freeze it.  That way I have enough pesto for a meal. Antother way is to freeze it in snack bags and put all the snack bags and put all the snack bags into a larger freezer bag or freezer container.   My kids really like this tossed with spaghetti and chicken--and I have some pretty picky eaters.
Anyway--give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment