Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hello from Longwood Hollow

Well, I have finally started a blog to chronicle the lives of my family on our farm at Longwood Hollow.
My husband and I have been married for almost 17 years. Even before we were married we talked about owning a farm one day to raise our kids on. When we were first married I read book after book about how to homestead. But job transfer after job transfer, and from place to place we could never find what we wanted within our budget.
Finally, last fall my husband and I and our six children moved onto our farm. It really is more than we ever dreamed we would have. We have named it Longwood Hollow.
This really has been a big step for me. I grew up a city girl. The only pets that were allowed in my house were goldfish. Now we have beef cattle, a milk cow, goats (both meat and dairy), chickens, and of course a dog and a cat--well now we actually have six cats because our cat, Catherine the Great--"Cat" for short, had 5 kittens about three weeks ago. It has been a huge learning experience, and I am loving every minute of it--well, maybe not every minute--like this morning when I was trying (notice I say trying, I am not very good at it yet) to milk the cow and she swatted me right in the eye with her tail. But, I really am enjoying my life here.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's been 17 years! I remember when you guys were just newlyweds! So glad you finally got your farm! Miss you guys!
    Love, Karen (Lemon) Erickson

    ReplyDelete