Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Our cows

So here are pictures and details about our cows. We have 13 cows on our farm.
First were the polled herefords. They were born in the fall of 2009. In December 2010 they were bred (hopefully) to a black angus bull. There names are Maybell, Weighty, Bossy, Jakey, Pig Pen, Red, and Rocky.
Then in February of 2011 we bought our Jersey/Brown Swiss milk cow--her name is Buttercup. On the 17th of February she had a heifer calf we named Moriah because it was a windy morning--that is a story for another post.

Then last month (March of 2011) we purchased four more heifers. One Black angus and three Black baldies who are Hopefully bred to a hereford bull and will be due this fall about the same time as the other heifers. Their names are Miss Kong-- because the angus one looks like and ape, Folly--because although she is a good size heifer she has a bad eye, which I did not notice until after she was delivered, and I am the one that picked her out--so she is my folly--I am hoping she will be the best cow and not live up to her name, Shorty, can you guess why, and Maggie just because it seemed a good name for a cow.


I have learned a lot from having these cows. I am not as afraid of them as I used to be. I've learned a heifer is a young cow that has not had a calf yet.
My milk cow loves to be rubbed behind her horn buds--she is so gentle and really just a big pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment